Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday, April 13, 2009

I know it has been a long time since I wrote anything but remember no news is GOOD news! So since I am writing you know something has come up.

Saturday night Fred started running a fever of 101.8, we knew he had an appointment with Dr. Solberg at Mayo on Monday morning so I just shoved some Tylenol in him and on Sunday morning we headed up to Jacksonville. Fred's fever persisted and he was shaking because he was so cold. He laid on the couch in the hotel room with a blanket and watched The Masters. We ate some dinner and he went to bed around 8 pm. He did not sleep much and his fever got up to 102.5.

We went over to the clinic early to see if they still wanted to run blood work due to his fever. Dr. Solberg saw him right away and ordered some additional blood work, urinalysis and a chest x-ray. He sort of thought it was a viral infection and told us we could head home after the tests and to call for the results since there is nothing you can really take for a viral infection.

I drove home while Fred shook in the car cause he was so cold. After the 3 hour drive we get home to a message on the machine to call Dr. Solberg's nurse right away. Fred has pneumonia. Dr. Solberg called in two antibiotics for him to take and wants to see us back at Mayo later this week.

The good news was his blood work was good considering he has pneumonia. His white blood cells are 2.5; his red blood cells are 3.53; his hemoglobin is 12.3 and his platelets are 137,000. All good considering.

Fred is in his sweats (its 81 degrees outside) and on the couch under a blanket and trying to watch the Cubs opening day on TV. Actually I think he is sleeping more than anything.

I will keep you posted.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Hope you feel better, dad!

Love,
Memi

Jenn said...

Auntie Lu & Uncle Freddie,
Maybe we can try to Skype later? I sure hope you can kick this pneumonia FAST. That shaking business is no fun! Much love to you both -

Coralee said...

Thomas shook when he had urosepsis. I KNOW what you are dealing with!! Hang in there, Fred. Drink plenty of fluids and take your pills. We are thinking of and praying for you!

Love,
Coralee & Thomas

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon Fred! Love Luanne

Anonymous said...

I hope Freddie kicks this fast and gets well soon.
God bless and take care.
John & Deb

Anonymous said...

Mary Spratt

We are praying for you. John 14:12,13
Verily veriy, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also;and greater work than these shall He do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do,that the Father may be glorified in the Son, If ye shall ask anything in my name, I will do it.